Sunday, November 20, 2011 | By: phoebe

it's photo taking time

But that means that it's also not much writing time :(


I spent the last couple of days driving to northern Ohio, going to my sister Sarah's graduation and driving back home. In the course of three days I drove through Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Ohio. And much of that on back roads at night. It was a hard drive but it was worth it.




And on the way I'm pretty sure that I saw a Yeti on the side of the road. A short Yeti. OK, maybe it was a fence post that resembled a Yeti out of the corner of my eye but I prefer to think that it was the real thing. My delusions keep my life a little bit more interesting than it would be without them.

I also noticed that late at night on the Pennsylvania Turnpike is when the big rigs come out. It must be their time, those nocturnal machines. During a 15 minute time span I decided to count how many I saw on the road and got to 105 before the clock ran out. That's a lot of trucks. Shades of Maximum Overdrive were running through my mind...

And yet another from the road observation of mine... stopping at a rest stop late, late at night in the middle of nowhere is just asking for trouble. When you do something like that you're in serial killer territory and all kinds of creepy scary things pop into your brain. I kept replaying episodes of Criminal Minds in my head and thought of all of the perfect hiding spots for a serial killer on the side of the road. Best just to pee as quickly as possible and hop right back in the car.



All in all it was an awesome little trip full of fun times with my mom and my sisters and my brother in law and his parents. I'm very proud of my sister Sarah. 27 months in a School for Nurse Anesthetists is no small feat. And that's on top of the 4 years of college that she has already put in plus her nursing job in between the two. I don't think that I could do it.









I even managed to stop at a roadside fruit stand on the way home. Well, truth be told I was getting very sleepy and needed to get out and walk around. But it was the perfect excuse to take some photos and to eat some apple chips. Mmmm.






Next up for me is Louisville, Ky, home for Thanksgiving. I get to rest up til Wednesday and then I'm on the road again. Looking forward to lots and lots of photo opportunities, a delicious Thanksgiving dinner and catching up with some old friends.

And then hopefully soon I can check back in on Miss Mavis Bean and find out what's been going on behind that door  that she went through...

3 comments:

Dom said...

A fabulous road trip...wish i had been there ;-))
The one with the mask ( what a gorgeous light and cool expression on the face ) and the apples are my favs .

Laura said...

I agree with Don, the mask pic has great color and light! I love all your pics but would implore you to not stop in serial killer territory again! :) And, I'm pretty sure you saw a Yeti! :)

Nichole Renee said...

Yetis are actually not all that rare in the Northeast. They often come through this time of year on their way to their winter homes on the Gulf of Mexico.

Great pics! I, too, love the masked one!

Post a Comment