Sunday, September 11, 2011 | By: phoebe

pictures and books but not picture books

     Yesterdays walk with Oliver was pretty uneventful and today I am giving myself the day off to be lazy.
I do an excellent job at being lazy. It's just so much fun. Internet, DVDs, book to read...what more could you ask for?  And speaking of reading...if you're in the market for a book to read scroll down past the photos where I talk about what I'm reading right now. I am hooked!
     For yesterdays visual documentation I used the toy camera effect on my droid again but this time I chose cross process for the film type. And I switched up the frame and used one from the grungy set, instant transfer 1. I'm having fun seeing how the different options are turning out. I think tomorrow I will try colourised...



















































     In June I bought a nook from Barnes and Noble. The  color nook at that. Now, it took alot of pride swallowing for me to do this. I've been saying for ages that I'll never, ever, ever be an e-reader, that I like actual books way too much to do that. But... I did alot of rationalizing to myself..."I'm going on a trip and it'd be so much easier to take this than a few paperbacks to read", "it has internet access so I can check my e-mail, facebook, etc, etc", "I can play sudoku on it!" and in the end I got it. And I love it! LOVE it! Since June I have read an average of a book a week. Some good, some not so good. But the one that I'm reading now has me hooked. For the last two nights I have told myself "just one more chapter" to the point where I haven't gone to sleep until 5 in the morning! The name of the book is Sister and it's by Rosamund Lupton. It's written in the form of a letter from one sister to another. The sister that the letter is to has gone missing and soon after has been found dead. Everyone seems to think that it was a suicide except for her older sister. The "letter " that she is writing is part apology, part a telling of the chain of events and part mystery as she tries to find out who killed her younger sister. And oh yeah, it's set in London. I haven't finished it yet so who knows, the ending may be a total letdown, but so far it is engrossing. If you're looking for a book to read I suggest this one.


3 comments:

Dom said...

I like all those pics...( love the tones/apps you've used...) especially the bike one..reminds me of my bike..hehe..as for books so far i have managed to get them from the library..i read a lot of biographies...occasionally if it is not at the library, i'll buy the book...like the Keith one ;-) But u got me intrigued now...a nook is like an ipad right ? How much ?

phoebe said...

Thank you!
The color nook is very much like an i-pad, a little bit smaller though & not as many bells and whistles. It's $249. The black & white nook is strictly for e-books and it's $139. The ipad starts at $499. My niece Madison has an i-pad, my sister in law, her sister and her mom have a black & white nook. My stepmom had a black & white nook too. I personally like the color nook, seems to be the best of both worlds. But I guess I'm biased since that's what I have.

Laura said...

Love your walk pics Phoebe...you always find the most interesting stuff to take pics of. This whole week I've been debating on getting a nook just because I'm going on a trip and the book I'm currently on, A Dance with Dragons, is a newly released big fat tome and I can't carry that around as I would look ridiculous. Still, I don't know if I'm ready quite yet...

Post a Comment